video boards-3d acceleration

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sun Nov 30 02:33:15 UTC 2003

A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> Hi, a bit confused here. I thought I read ATI doesn't support Linux that
> well. Nvidia does, albeit closed source. I use Nvidia which works fine
> (thanks to the hints in this list).

The way I understand it is that nvidia has better closed-source drivers
for linux, but jealously guards their hardware, making an open source
driver basically impossible.

ATI, on the other hand, releases crappy closed-source drivers, but
releases hardware specs for their older models, making open-source
drivers possible.

Suffice it to say, I have a radeon 9000, and whatever driver Fedora
automatically detected and chose to use for my card works great in
tuxracer, I didn't have to install anything extra after the base install
to get good 3d working.