Adaptec 29320-R Driver Disk

Mike Tremaine mgt at stellarcore.net
Sat Nov 29 17:44:39 UTC 2003

Well just to answer my own question so its out there.

Adaptec has yet to release source code for the HostRaid features of this
device (a320raid), and from comments on their messageboards it seems
unlikely to happen anytime soon (vague "Legal Issues" cited). There are
Redhat 8.0 and Redhat 9.0 binary modules but then you are locked into
the release kernel for those versions. You can try something funky like
forcing the module onto another kernel but this is risky. So the the
answer is to run Fedora with this Adaptec controller you must disable
HostRaid. Then Fedora picks up the controller (aic79xx) just fine. From
there I just built a software RAID. A loss of speed but at least the
drivers are open source.

(Note to self no more Adaptec controllers when we need Hardware Raid).

Mike