changing localhost name

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Sun Nov 30 04:12:41 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 07:01:43AM -0600, AuntieParticle scripsit:
> So that it will looks something like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain localhost
> 127.0.0.1        nameiwant.localdomain nameiwant
>
> Then in etc/sysconfig/network I should *change*
>
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

> HOSTNAME=nameiwant.localdomain
>
> Is this correct?

This is not correct; you don't want to define 127.0.0.1 (which is a
special interface) more than once.

If all you want to do is create an alias for 'localhost', you can do it
like:

127.0.0.1   localhost  localhost.localdomain nameyouwant

and it will work, but if you want the machine's actual IP to be
recognized as being attached to the hostname, you have to add a line
like

192.168.0.16	    nameyouwant

Where you replace the IP with whatever IP you have assigned to that
machine.

--
oak at uniserve.com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,