why can't I upgrade php?

linbox paul_lin at twincomp.com
Sun Nov 30 20:50:46 UTC 2003

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> To answer this and your earlier query:
>
> The reason rpm failed is because you need to install all the other
> packages that php is split into, too:
>
> rpm -Fvh php* php-ldap* php-mysql*...
>
> (correct the paths to the RPM files as needed.) In other words, you
> freshen all of the php files, all at the same time. php-imap has a
> dependency on php in the same version.
>
> In your document root in /var/www/html, is there a file named info.php
> that has the <? phpinfo() ?> script in it? You should be able to see
> the phpinfo with a standard install of both httpd and php (provided,
> of course, that you have not incorrectly updated the config files
> httpd.conf and php.ini.)
>
> It's very strange that you can't get this working from a fresh
> install, so you must have made extensive changes to httpd.conf and
> php.ini.
>

> Bob
>

> linbox wrote:
>
>> I am trying to upgrade to the latest stable php, and I get the
>> following message with rpm -Uvh php-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm (even if I try
>> the --force tag).
>>
>> warning: php-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
>> 30c9ecf8
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-imap-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-ldap-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-mysql-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-odbc-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-pgsql-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-domxml-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-snmp-4.3.3-6
>>        php = 4.3.3-6 is needed by (installed) php-xmlrpc-4.3.3-6
>>
>> I get a similar error if I try to erase (rpm -e) the old php file.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>

>> --

Thanks, I downloded all the updates and updated to 4.3.4 with no change
in the blank screen problem.  Googling around, many users seem to have
the blank screen with php problem, but I have yet to see a post with a
solution.

I made only a few minor changes to the httpd.conf and php.ini files.  I
had backed up the original files, and I just restored them and rebooted
my system.

Still the same blank screen problem.  Something is broken somewhere.  :-{