nvidia thoughts

Niels Weber nath at snafu.de
Fri Oct 24 05:57:58 UTC 2003

Hi Christoph!

First I want to say thank you for th e advise to use "nofb". That
machine now runs fedora without problems. Even X configured itself
completly automatically - something I've never seen before.

Am Fr, den 24.10.2003 schrieb Christoph Wickert um 02:20:
> Am Do, den 23.10.2003 schrieb Niels Weber um 23:33:
> > Still, on my other system (Geforce 4 ti 4200, Philips 150 P DFP it
> > doesn't matter if I choose nofb or not).
> You still can do the installation in text mode, skip the x configuration
> and reboot.
Ok, the thing with text mode installation (at least on that machine):
1. It doesn't allow to choose packages individually.
2. It always crashed on the second disk.

What's the reason for using "fb" at the  installation? Is it considered
a bug (should I add it to bugzilla) if my system only installs with
"nofb"?

> #wget
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4496/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
> # export CC=gcc32
> #./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run
> # XFree -configure
> Edit the new XF86config for your needs.
> Be happy. :-)
>
> I think the problem is your TFT, not the graphics card , but i cannot
That's what I did on the other machine (with the DFP), not with fedora
but back then with 8.0 or so. I upgraded that machine to fedora already
by upgrading the packages by hand.
The issue here seems to be that the "nv" driver doesn't work with the
digital out (and as I understand bugzilla won't until nvidia gives the
needed information to the XFree86 developers - so probably it will never
work).

That was the reason for my question / proposal: That the binary
nvidia-drivers should be available sometime during the installation.
--
Niels Weber <nath at snafu.de>