NVidia drivers cause Segmentation Faults in RH9 and Fedora Core beta

Sean Earp smearp at mac.com
Wed Oct 1 18:11:17 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 10:42 AM, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:

> Now to the Fedora Core Team:  With the Beta release of Fedora Core I
> have
> the same
> problem with NVidia drivers, and the additional problem is that the
> screen
> will
> splash the NVidia splash screen then all will go black and I have to
> do a
> force
> reboot.  Once again upgrading thye NVidia drivers did not clear the
> problem up.

Roberto-

Bugzilla seems to be down right now <http://bugzilla.redhat.com> or I'd
point you to the specific bug thread regarding NVidia drivers and Red
Hat releases (if I recall correctly, it is one of the most active
bugs), but the issue boils down to the fact that since NVidia releases
their driver ONLY in a binary format (no source), Red Hat CAN AND WILL
not help resolve any issues with the NVidia drivers.    Try checking
out the NVidia Linux support forum at
<http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14>  It is
regularly visited by the NVidia Linux driver developer(s), and is a
pretty active forum.  Someone there should probably be able to help you
out.   Hope this helps,

-Sean