Fedora and the System Administrator

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 17:43:00 UTC 2003

Sean Middleditch said:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 12:58, Miguel M wrote:
>> William Hooper wrote 2003-10-02
>>
>> >Seems to me if you buy a copy of RHEL in order to do this rebuild (as
>> >suggested) it would make more sense to just remove the
>> non-distributable
>> >bits and install it on all your machines.
>>
>> Which exactly are those non-distributable bits?
>> How does one remove them?
>
> Last I checked, RHEL is completely GPL software.  In the case they are
> providing some non-redistributable bits, those would just be packaegs
> (perhaps Java?) that you would not include (altho you are quite free to
> download and use one of several Java VMs for Linux).

Also Red Hat's Trademarked artwork.  Since I haven't seen a copy of RHEL
this is going by the License agreement.

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/

The distribution also includes the IBM® Java Development Kit ("JDK"),
which is software licensed to Customer from IBM Corporation, hereinafter,
the "IBM Programs". For the precise terms of the license for these IBM
Programs, please check the on-line documentation that accompanies them or
review the license at http://www.redhat.com/licenses/jdk_ibm.html. If
Customer does not agree to abide by the applicable license terms for these
IBM Programs, then Customer may not install them. If Customer wishes to
install these IBM programs on more than one computer, then Customer must
contact IBM to purchase additional licenses.

[snip]

THE "RED HAT" TRADEMARK AND RED HAT'S "SHADOWMAN" LOGO ARE REGISTERED
TRADEMARKS OF RED HAT IN THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER COUNTRIES. WHILE THIS
LICENSE AGREEMENT ALLOWS CUSTOMER TO COPY MODIFY AND DISTRIBUTE THE
SOFTWARE, IT DOES NOT PERMIT CUSTOMER TO DISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE UTILIZING
RED HAT'S TRADEMARKS. CUSTOMER SHOULD READ THE INFORMATION FOUND AT
http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/ BEFORE DISTRIBUTING A
COPY OF THE SOFTWARE, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT HAS BEEN MODIFIED.

--
William Hooper