Fedora and the System Administrator -- there are a lot of variables here ...

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Thu Oct 2 21:05:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 10:17, David Holden wrote:
> On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 4:48 pm, William Hooper wrote:
> > David Holden said:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > When fedora is release will I beable to say to my boss, yes we can
> > > install fedora version "x" and be able to rely on redhat providing
> > > security updates
> > > for the next 2-3 years for that version,
> >
> > Repeat after me, Fedora is not Red Hat.  If the Fedora Legacy project can
> > get you 2-3 years then it will be the Fedora Legacy project doing it, not
> > Red Hat.
>

> I've no need to repeat this, I'm well aware of the difference thanks. The
> above was making precisely the point that redhat won't be providing security
> updates to Fedora.

Then your point is invalid. RH *will* be doing so. However, the time
period is shorter, and there is no SLA on it. See below.

It seems this is related to the confusion between *support* and
*maintenance*.

This is in part required. RH will *not* be maintaining all the packages
that go into Fedora Core. The software/package maintainers will be. For
a goodly portion of them, those will not be packaged by RH for FC.

"""
Security updates, bugfix updates, and new feature updates will all be
available, through Red Hat and third parties. Updates may be staged
(first made available for public qualification, then later for general
consumption) when appropriate. In drastic cases, we may remove a package
from The Fedora Project if we judge that a necessary security update is
too problematic/disruptive to the larger goals of the project.
Availability of updates should not be misconstrued as support for
anything other than continued development and innovation of the code
base.

Red Hat will not be providing an SLA (Service Level Agreement) for
resolution times for updates for The Fedora Project. Security updates
will take priority. For packages maintained by external parties, Red Hat
may respond to security holes by deprecating packages if the external
maintainers do not provide updates in a reasonable time. Users who want
support, or maintenance according to an SLA, may purchase the
appropriate Red Hat Enterprise Linux product for their use.
""" --http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/

So your claim is incorrect.

--
Bill Anderson