Fedora and the System Administrator -- are my assumptions on SuSE incorrect?

Edward Croft ecroft at openratings.com
Fri Oct 3 13:17:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 23:45, Buck wrote:
> For those of you who like to keep fresh blood on your hands, Fedora
> might be better.  In this field, I am probably the old man (45) and I
> don't care to see blood too long, especially if its my own.

<SNIP>
> Good luck
>
> Buck
First off, we are the old men, (also 45, just last week), but I always
liked bleeding edge. I was all over linux when I first learned of it.
The first shrink wrapped was RHL 6.2. I also bought Suse, Caldera, and
Turbo linux to try them all, but came back to RHL. I liked playing
Tetris while Caldera loaded. I liked Suse somewhat, but it just missed
for me, Turbo Linux was out there somewhere, but it was Red Hat that I
settled on, and eventually embraced and became a RHCE. I know that you
can buy RHEL and still have Red Hat, but it just isn't RHL as we knew
it. Fedora may be a great project, but it isn't RHL. It isn't Red Hat.
That is the only reason that I stated that I will have to evaluate Suse,
Mandrake, et al, along with Fedora. The product I have been using, is
going away. The suggested replacement is Fedora. Fedora is not Red Hat.
So in essence, I am back to square one. I have been a blind loyalist for
Red Hat, but for my home PCs, (work will always be Red Hat), I will
investigate other versions. Of course, if Red Hat came out with 10, then
I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be having this conversation, and we
wouldn't be plowing through over fifty messages each morning debating
the issue. But hey, tempis fuget. (For our non-latin speaking friends,
time marches on.)
Ed