dev fs LABEL=/

Arindam Dey adey at komnas.com
Tue Oct 7 07:02:38 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 07:46, jdow wrote:
> From: "Mike Watson" <mikew at crucis.net>
> > > I tried to compile a custom 2.4.22 kernel - when I boot it I get a
> > > VFS kernel panic error saying it cannot open root device LABEL=/ or
> > > 00:00.
> [snip other problem desc]

> Have you tried editing /etc/fstab to change the format from
> "LABEL=/" to "/dev/hda2" or the like?

On the above solution I wanted to ask one question. On RedHat systems if
I download a vanilla kernel and compile and install it successfully why
do I have to change the fstab format to /dev/hdX? Why can't I let it
remain in the LABEL=/** format. I personally don't have any issues with
the LABEL format but everytime I install a vanilla kernel either I have
to pass the root=/dev/hdX note it does not work if I pass root=LABEL=/
like redhat does. I just wanted to know why? It has just a minor
irritation which I could not understand.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be filled
but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739