fedora versus fedora test

David.Grudek at anixter.com David.Grudek at anixter.com
Thu Oct 9 15:27:21 UTC 2003

"Considering the fact that every single package in rawhide is
currently maintained by Red Hat employees, and we are diligently
working every day to improve the Fedora Core release and fix as
many bugs as possible, I'm not sure exactly how "Redhat just lost
there ownership of the project" as you state above.  While we
have opened up the project to the community, the infrastructure
is not yet in place to allow external developers to maintain or
contribute packages, and so for all intents and purposes, Fedora
Core 1, is very much a distribution developed by Red Hat not much
differently than Red Hat Linux 9, or Red Hat Linux 8.0, 7.x, etc."

Currently they are all maintained by Redhat but since they plan on turning
it over to the public more, that will be a harder task to watch what all
these guys are doing to every package that comes out.  Considering the
fact that they are not even willing to support it any more for even the 30
day installation shows their loss of ownership.  They keep close ties on
the project so they have all testing on the packages for their commercial
line.  I don't believe that it will be as stable as the OLD REDHAT because
they will be letting so many people touch it and too many people be
involved that it will be more likely to have bugs.  When Redhat was in
full control they knew every change that happened.  With so many cooks in
the kitchen you will never know everything that was changed always leaving
some mess around.  They want to develop and let users use it for only the
benefit of adding fully tested products to their enterprise edition.  If
they really wanted to merge with a group to make stable and more advanced
version of Linux that everyone could enjoy, why not merge with a group
more similar to Debian.  They have a good and stable release but are
lacking on the ease of use that someone like Redhat has.  This would be a
better and more positive move forward for the Linux community.  They
already have tons of developers that are working together on a common
goal.
So far the project might be the same as Redhat 9 but the future is what I
am referring to.  Like I said before   TOO many cooks in the kitchen will
lead to a big mess.