Fedora and the System Administrator

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Thu Oct 9 19:54:05 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> This is bogus.  Red Hat financial profitability is public
> information.  It's not subject to opinion really.  Just go look
> at public records.  I don't see anywhere that we have said we are
> not a profitable company.  Quite the opposite in fact, and our
> public records should show this quarterly.

Maybe it wasn't a Red Hat employee who gave me that impression.  I don't
claim to be an expert on RH finances (although i've just read your 2002
10k report
http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/NSD/RHAT/reports/RHAT_06170210k.pdf
and it seems to indicate consistent net losses).  Folks have been
suggesting that RH *had* to make this move at the risk of going under.

Anyway, that's not the main point i was trying to address.  It was the
issue of the tie between the OS and the boxed set.

Mandrake understand this distinction.  Here is their products page:
http://www.mandrakestore.com/mdkworld/index.php?storereferer=&LANG=en_US&UID=&CUSTID=&origin_=
Notice that you can buy both boxed sets and just CDs.

>>A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
>>Q: Why should i start my reply below the quoted text?
>
> Now that is classic!  I love it!  ;o)

Daniel Barron (of Dan's Guardian) has a similar one; see, e.g.: