Okay - Gripe time

Joshua Legbandt jtlegbandt at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 07:43:09 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 22:30, Dan Goodes wrote:
> I thought - great, new fedora release, let's look at the release notes to
> see what's in store.
>
> WHOA!!! perfect!!! built-in ACPI support!!! no more rebuilding custom
> kernels to handle power management and so on... right? WRONG!!!
>
> *sigh* it's only going to be used for device enumeration, not power
> management and so on.
>
> I have a fairly new, low-end Compaq notebook that only has an ACPI
> subsystem, no APM. So in order to get power management and various other
> little tricks (specifically changing the display brightness and
> auto-switching between the touchpad and the PS/2 mouse), i had to compile
> up a custom kernel, patched with ACPI support.

Actually, the support is there, I'm using it on my Compaq Presario
2715US, just add acpi=on to the end of your kernel line in grub like so:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2087.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi acpi=on

> Please please please please please can we try to get power management and
> stuff into the ACPI support before Fedora Core 9.1 (or 10, or are they
> numbering the releases from 1 again?). Everything else about this release
> has me excited - but I probably wont be upgrading my notebook until this
> is sorted.

I think the next release was going to be Fedora Core 1.

hth,
josh

--
Joshua Legbandt <jtlegbandt at earthlink.net>