Java in Fedora, was:Re: Java for Yahoo Games

Maarten Stolte maarten.stolte at papuaos.org
Mon Oct 20 08:02:15 UTC 2003

> You have to "run" the .bin file, it's a shell-script wrapper that will
> ask you to agree to a license before it unpacks the RPM, since RPM can't
> handle stuff like that and corporate entities usually want/require that
> crud.
>
> One you run the file (type ./j2re...rom.bin), it'll pop up the agree in
> a pager - hit the spacebar to go to the next page.  At the end, it'll
> ask you to type in 'yes' or 'i agree' or something like that, then it
> unpacks the .rpm (same name as the original file sans the .bin) which
> you can then install.  I believe it'll setup everything for you then,
> tho you may need to follow the symlinks as per the other response to
> your message.

one symlink is needed indeed, from the mozilla plugins dir to your java
dir, on my system it was, in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/plugins:

libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Another thing, if you want to use java for other things then the plugin,
you'll need to add the bin dir to the PATH, and set JAVA_HOME, which you
can do in /etc/profile:

JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/"

PATH=$PATH:"/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin"

export PATH USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC JAVA_HOME

best,

Maarten