tty spawning even though rc.local is not finished.

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Tue Oct 21 22:24:27 UTC 2003

Greetings.

   I have added on both RHL 7.1 and RHL 9 some code to rc.local that takes a
long time to execute (I upgrade the RPMs at boot time and the first time the
system is installed, there are a lot of RPMs to upgrade).

   I found out that even though rc.local is not finished executing, suddenly the
tty and XFree are started.  It seams that inittab or rc has a timeout somewhere,
but I could not find any reference about such a timeout anywhere.  Can someone
provide me clues on how to disable/increase the timeout?  It is imperative that
the user cannot login on the machine until rc.local is finished.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.         Open source: