CNET News Article

Tom Ryan tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 22 19:09:32 UTC 2003

Of course I think Mike meant to say

"I have EVERY reason to believe that our new OS release will be as
stable, reliable" :)

otherwise, he's definitely confirming the original posters opinion :)

sorry, could resist!

Tom

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> "Fedora Core" to date has only been a test release (previously
> called betas), so to compare that with an official release such
> as Red Hat Linux 9 is comparing apples to oranges.  The
> Fedora Core 1 release is what people should be reviewing once it
> is available, and knowing the resources and manpower that went
> into the development of this release, and having been a part of
> that, I have no reason to believe that our new OS release will be
> as stable, reliable, etc. or better than any previous Red Hat
> Linux release.
>
> However, no software is 100% perfect, and people who use any
> given release may not encounter any problems at all, while other
> users may encounter a few or even many depending on their setups
> and usage patterns.  Like any previous release, there will be
> people who love it and think it's great, and there will be people
> who hate it and think it sucks.  Any major development such as a
> Linux distribution knows these things from the get go, and
> accepts them.  The age old cliche rings true:
>
> 	"You can please some of the people all of the time, and
> 	you can please all of the people some of the time, but
> 	you can't please all of the people all of the time."
>
> We do however do our best to try, and I think we do so very
> successfully even when a minority of people aren't happy with the
> end results, as there will always be people who fit that
> category.  ;o)

Tom Ryan                                            Voice: 856-225-6361
Consulting System Administrator                       Fax: 856-969-7900
Rutgers School of Law - Camden