nvidia thoughts

Niels Weber nath at snafu.de
Thu Oct 23 21:15:42 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 23.10.2003 schrieb William Hooper um 22:58:
> Niels Weber said:
> > I have never ever been abe to install any redhat graphically with a
> > geforce card (tried geforce 2 mx, geforce 2 go, geforce 4 ti 4200,
> > different monitors, different computers, btw: a tnt2 worked without
> > problems), neither 8.0 nor 9 nor fedora. After the text based install
> > I've never been able to get X to run. I always had to get the binary
> > nvidia drivers to get X to run.
> Have you ever put these problems in bugzilla?
No, I haven't so far. I have thought about it and searched for geforce
related problems in bugzilla. There were quite a few but most seem to be
answered along the lines of "yeah, we know but as nvidia is evil it's
your fault you bought something from them". (Ok I know, the answers
aren't linke that. I don't want to put down the good work of you guys at
redhat.)

> [snip]
> > Redistribution of the nvidia-driver is allowed. Wouldn't it be possible
> > (perhaps as an extra ISO-image or whatever) to allow the use of the
> > binary driver from installation on? I understand that RedHat cannot
> > support that driver but as it's now fedora and that isn't supported
> > anyway, support issues shouldn't be a concern, or am I wrong there?
> Distributing binary-only drivers is opposed to the goals of the Fedora
> Project:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html
> "Build the operating system exclusively from open source software."
There are other programs in fedora with non OSI compliant licenses, what
about them?
I was talking about a different ISO image for a reason. It should be
marked as a non official ISO that doesn't really belong to fedora and is
just provided to make installation easier for some people.

--
Niels Weber <nath at snafu.de>