missing RPM in desktop install -- xsri-2.1.0-6

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Oct 24 11:01:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:20:24PM -0700, ekg at tricity.wsu.edu wrote:

> > I see this all the time.  Why is it that the installer doesn't allow you
> > to retry a package ... and instead errors out and dies...
> >
> > I actually tested my media and I still had the problem at some point in
> > my installation.
> >
> > Bottom line though it shouldn't just die.  Give a chance to retry,
> > abort, or ignore...and continue giving that chance until the USER
> > decides to abort.
>
> I'm afraid I'll have to second this opinion.  Have seen this on
> faulty cd-rom drives which will randomly refuse to read portions
> of the disc.  While no package that failed to open was critical to
> the install, the fact that even one package couldn't be opened
> deep-sixed the whole installation.

I don't know what the difference is, but anaconda does try to retry when
it cannot read a package. I have had questions pop up with a cancel and
retry button, and once it asked for cd 1 (which it had) and ejected the
cd and continued after reinserting the cd.
(BTW; this was not a bug in FC, it was a defective cdrom player)

so I guess the mechanism is there already, but not invoked on every
error?

David