nvidia thoughts

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Fri Oct 24 12:12:48 UTC 2003

Hi Niels!
Am Fr, den 24.10.2003 schrieb Niels Weber um 07:57:
> Hi Christoph!
>
> First I want to say thank you for th e advise to use "nofb". That
> machine now runs fedora without problems. Even X configured itself
> completly automatically - something I've never seen before.

Was not more than a wild guess :-)

> Am Fr, den 24.10.2003 schrieb Christoph Wickert um 02:20:
> > Am Do, den 23.10.2003 schrieb Niels Weber um 23:33:
> > > Still, on my other system (Geforce 4 ti 4200, Philips 150 P DFP it
> > > doesn't matter if I choose nofb or not).
> > You still can do the installation in text mode, skip the x configuration
> > and reboot.
> Ok, the thing with text mode installation (at least on that machine):
> 1. It doesn't allow to choose packages individually.

I thought that option is gone anyway in fedora. Is it back again in test
3??? (Would be great!) But you are right: Text install is not as good as
graphical  mode, e. g. configuration of the boot-manager.

> 2. It always crashed on the second disk.
I'll try a text mode next time. Did the same disc 2 work with graphical
install? Would be very strange.

> What's the reason for using "fb" at the  installation? Is it considered
> a bug (should I add it to bugzilla) if my system only installs with
> "nofb"?

I'm not sure about the use of fb. I don't think it's used or necessary
unless you set higher vga modes(? --duck&cover--). By the way: I'm using
an old Elsa Erazor  TNT II Pro (Nvidia Riva 128 I think) and have no
problems with the fb. Mayby you can try to boot with fb but disable it's
use in X with

Option          "UseFBDev"              "false"

in the device section. Might be worth a try, but be sure to make a new
entry for that in grub, so you can always go back if it doesn't work.

> > I think the problem is your TFT, not the graphics card , but i cannot

> The issue here seems to be that the "nv" driver doesn't work with the
> digital out (and as I understand bugzilla won't until nvidia gives the
> needed information to the XFree86 developers - so probably it will never
> work).

Well, then you have to change the monitor or need to install the nvidia
driver first. Should not be a problem, if the second disc did not crash.

> That was the reason for my question / proposal: That the binary
> nvidia-drivers should be available sometime during the installation.

This will never happen, for it is proprietary code and fedora core is
open source. Und das ist auch gut so;-)

Christoph
--
Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de>