distribution and update conventions and methods

Christians, Stefan Mr. software at kkalice.com
Fri Oct 24 13:57:11 UTC 2003

I am a bit confused ...

1) Conventions

Will Fedora Core be available on traditional RedHat mirrors?

Will Fedora core be available on ftp://$mirror/pub/fedora/$release, or
something like that?

Will updates to Fedora Core be available on
ftp://$mirror/pub/fedora/updates/$release, or something like that?

2) Method for keeping up to date

a) what I used to do:
- I did not want to use RedHat Network
- I did not want to use the red, green and blue arrows on the panel
- every night a local server would download newest updates and errata
from a RedHat mirror
- every time a workstation booted into runlevel 5, a startup script
would update all normal rpms from the local server
- every time the workstation shut down or rebooted, a shutdown script
would update special rpms like kernel or glibc from the local server

b) what should I do from now on?

But now I have read so much interesting stuff about apt, yum and up2date
in this mailing list. Do I understand it correctly that I just have to
run one of these programs without further configuration and the system
will be fully updated. It would be too good to be true.

Any recommendations from somebody who has already used these tools how
to keep a system updated automatically without user intervention?

--
Stefan Christians