mp3 help...

Jeremy Hogan jhogan at redhat.com
Sat Oct 25 00:57:21 UTC 2003

> My biggest beef with it is why are other distro's "getting away with it",
> while if I choose to stick with RH or Fedora, I have to go out and bypass
> their stock RPM's?

Getting away with it and not yet getting sued for retroactive royalties,
patent infringement, or GPL violations are not the same thing.

Reading the news one can see the plaintiff goes after the deepest
pockets, Red Hat would like not to be the test case for any such
business. And there is principle involved. Use Ogg.

Or if you must use mp3, install it yourself. Last I checked folks had to
go get plug-ins and readers and such from third parties all the time.

--jeremy