CNET News Article

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Sat Oct 25 01:33:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:44:24PM -0400, Jeremy Hogan wrote:
> Ding! Nobody publishes volume discounting unless they want folks not
> having the requisite volume to still lobby for the rock bottom deal.

Which leaves the poor "hobbyist" with an AMD64 or PPC64 box
feeling like a chump for paying $792/yr for RHEL.

It is an absolute coup for Intel that RHEL cost the same on a
US$2K AMD64 box as it does on a US$7-10K over-priced and
under-performing IA-64 box.  Development and support-wise, I
can see why they should have cost parity.  But I can also see
SuSE and Mandrake sales rising rapidly ...

Fortunately, said "hobbyist" will soon be running 64-bit FC1. :-)

   Bill Rugolsky