SIGPIPE, where is it coming from?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 13:33:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 13:27, Brown, Tony wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a Netbackup RH 7.1 client (Win2k Media/Master Server).  My diferrential backups are fine.  My full backup is consistently disconnecting the socket(s) with a SIGPIPE error.  I am at a loss in trying to find what is producing the SIGPIPE.
>
> [5066] <16> bpbkar sighandler: ERR - bpbkar killed by SIGPIPE
> [5066] <2> bpbkar sighandler: INF - ignoring additional SIGPIPE signals
>
> I see that gdb can be used to trap signals or redirect the action of certain signals ... but this looks to be based on C programs ... my process is ksh based.
>
> Any suggestions?

SIGPIPE is caused when you attempt to write to a socket which the
_other_ end has closed.  Thus, it could very easily be a bug in whatever
"bpbkar" was talking to when it received SIGPIPE.

Though, it also looks like "bpbkar" doesn't gracefully handle SIGPIPE...

-- Lon

--
Lon Hohberger
Red Hat, Inc. --> http://www.redhat.com

The views expressed in this electronic mail message are mine alone
and do not necessarily reflect the views of Red Hat, Inc.