What price do you want?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 02:14:37 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 20:25, Adam Debus wrote:
>     I do not see this as violating the GNU license at all. Remember, the
> Distro itself is NOT under the GPL. The individual components that make up
> the distro are.

See http://www.redhat.com/licenses/

From
http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us_2-1.html?country=United+States&

        Red Hat Enterprise Linux itself is a collective work under U.S.
        Copyright Law. Subject to the trademark use limitations set
        forth below, Red Hat grants Customer a license in this
        collective work pursuant to the GNU General Public License.

I'm not a lawyer or authorized to give you an official explanation, but
as I understand it the cost of RHEL is for the support and services.
The work Red Hat does to develop, support, update the OS costs N dollars
per system supported. But you should read the web site information
yourself (or better, get your lawyer to). Red Hat sales reps are no
doubt also used to answering this question authoritatively.

Havoc