MySQL: 3.x versus 4.x?

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sun Sep 28 18:17:33 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Marc Schwartz wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>A (hopefully) quick query. Can someone provide some insight into the
>selection of MySQL 3.x as opposed to 4.x in Fedora, in light of 4.x
>being the present production version series?

If my memory serves me, it was an agreement between RH and MySQL.com due
to license issues with 4.x. THe problem was that 4.x is all GPL or
commercial license and 3.x has some LGPL parts. People who compile apps
that are not GPL and combine them with GPL libraries have mismatched
licneses.

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545