Fedora and the System Administrator

Erik Williamson erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue Sep 30 21:13:07 UTC 2003

> You might want to sit down and make sure there are no breakable objects
> nearby.

Heh, thanks for the chuckle - I needed that!

> Other options of course is to talk to Red Hat sales about working out
> some licensing options. I'm pretty sure Red Hat a rep has been on the
> fedora mailing list saying they are willing to talk about .edu about
> discussing things.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-September/msg00133.html

I agree with Tom's posting here, quite well written.  I spoke with
couple reps from RedHat and there's a deal whereby if you buy the RHEL
Proxy ($2500 USD, incl RHAS), you can get Enterprise workstation for $25
USD/seat in quantities over 100.

That's one hell of a price break - so 100 seats comes out to $5000 -
Which I feel is a good price.  Unfortunately the Head of the Department
doesn't.  He also doesn't understand that it's going to cost a good
chunk of change to migrate to another distro in terms of worker hours.

I absolutely love Redhat.  Sadly enough - the way things are going, it's
really going to suck having to stop using it here.  Make no mistake!
I'm not blaming redhat for this.

Thanks for your response,
Erik.

e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
  system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary