Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 2 10:31:06 UTC 2004

Nigel Wade wrote:

> My system crashed at 23:35. The cron job to mount/unmount filesystems
> was set to run at :10 and :35 every hour. Given what other people report
> in this and other threads I'd say either mount or unmount was the culprit.
>
> I think I'll be building my own kernel now.

I built the latest 2.4 kernel, but LDAP won't run with that kernel (more
precicely, the BDB backend won't start and slapd seg. faults). So that's a
non-starter.

I guess I'm back to square one. The system won't operate in SMP with the FC
kernel and won't operate at all without a FC kernel. So it looks like Fedora
is snafu'd.

Unfortunately, RH9/RHEL3 don't have the version of LDAP I require, and when
I tried an upgrade to openldap I started getting FUTEX locking problems.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555