K3b blew my writer (5 of them)

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Tue Apr 6 09:46:25 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 22:18, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 13:55, Mihai Maties wrote:
> > On Monday 05 April 2004 02:14, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> snipped
> >
> > Why don't you use the latest K3b version (0.11.9) ? http://www.k3b.org for
> > more info or http://k3b.xcyb.org for rpms.
> >

> > Mihai
>
> Mihai
> Thanks
> I actually thought I had the latest version installed, Seems my apt repo
> is a bit behind,
> However I have now installed 0.11.9 and although the writer is still
> alive it still seems to get confused when I set it to make more than one
> copy and hangs up my system.
> The question here is that if k3b only uses software like cdrecord then
> would the problem not be with cdrecord?

    I was not able to write anything "on the fly" with k3b <= 0.11.4,
which was a pipe problem in k3b of cource. K3b is just graphical
frontend to mkisofs/cdrecord/..., so it should not be responsible
for any hardware damage. I used to think there's no way software can
do any real damage to a hardware device, but it seems that latest CD
Writers are a piece of crap... so try updating your firmware as
suggested in some other replys.
    I wonder where the world is heading to... I have *old* FDDs and FD
controllers (more than two years old) that still work fine, but all
new ones can not survive ten rewritings.
> I'll try a reinstall of cdrecord and look for a newer version.
> Later

Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79