Some problems getting started

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 16:00:17 UTC 2004

Not alot of detail to go on here, but I'll offer my recommendations
concerning your "pruning" methodology.

I do NOT recommend you spend alot of time uninstalling things already
installed.  Hard drive space is so cheap nowadays, I usually just install
everything possible and tune what things run at boot time afterwards.

The fact that installers figure out all the dependencies for you is a
great help, and tweaking things will likely just get you all messed up.
No doubt, there's ways to do it, but you need to ask yourself how
important is your "pruning" philosophy anyway?

There's lots more important things to be learning in Linux than how you
can manage to cripple and/or break the system.

I've put a couple links on the java question for your benefit.

http://home.bredband.no/gaulyk/java/tutorial/javaredhat.html

http://mozilla.weebeastie.net/java.shtml

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164299

BC