Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 8 16:00:27 UTC 2004

Julien Olivier wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've installed both FC1 and FC2 and, each time, I have noticed a very
>annoying problem.
>
>I have an ethernet ADSL modem. So, when I configure the network, I use
>DHCP (my modem is also a DHCP server).
>Then, when I try to log in GNOME for the first time, I get an error
>message stating that I should had my hostname to /etc/hosts.
>So, I fire vim and add my hostname (provided by my ADSL modem) to
>/etc/hosts.
>Then, I log in again, and everything works.
>
>Now, my questions are:
>
> - Why does GNOME need my hostname to be in /etc/hosts ?

I'm sure that they have their reasons.  But, I don't think that its
required in /etc/hosts...  Just reversible [that is, they can look up an
IP address for your hostname].

> - Why isn't my hostname automatically added to /etc/hosts after the
>connection is established ? Is there a technical reason to it ? Or is it
>simply a bug that should be filed ?
>
> - Or, alternativeley, is there a way to ignore the hostname provided by
>the DHCP connection and just stick to localhost.localdomain ? I found a
>similar option in Anaconda but it doesn't seem to work.

In my /etc/sysconfig/network file, I have the following:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

Then, my /etc/hosts file has:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost

It works for me with DHCP.

Hope this helps....

--
Keven Ring               | The called it Paradise, I don't know why
The MITRE Corporation    | Call someplace Paradise, Kiss it Goodbye