yum.conf clean-up

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Thu Apr 8 20:39:47 UTC 2004

On 04/08/2004 04:03 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 15:42, Satish Balay wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Matt Morgan wrote:
>>

>>>When I first installed fedora core, I was entirely clueless about yum,
>>>snip <
>>>

>>Will work fine untill some packages get updated that changes/breaks
>>existing dependencies. At that time - yum will give nice errors -
>>indicating what depency is broken. Yum don't care if this bad
>>dependency is from orphaned package or not.
>>

>Be warned that these problems are likely to happen immediately as
>packages from the FreshRPMS group (including ATrpms, Dag, Dries,...) of
>repositories seem to often be mutually incompatible with
>Fedora.US/Livna.  The others you have added would only seem to increase
>the probability of problems.

Noted--thanks! I decided not to switch to livna, and instead stick with
the FreshRPMs group.

>>And for your sanity - to know what packages are orphaned - you can do:
>>
>>yum list extras

Excellent! Using my new, small yum.conf, I get

flash-plugin                        i386   6.0.79-2                 db
gpg-pubkey                          None   e42d547b-3960bdf1        db
j2re                                i586   1.4.2-5.rhfc1.dag        db
k3b                                 i686   1:0.11.9-1.xcyb          db
mplayerplug-in                      i386   2.45-fc1                 db
wine                                i386   0.20040321-1             db
wine-devel                          i386   0.20040321-1             db
winesetuptk                         i586   0-73                     db

as extras--which is about what I expected, and quite manageable. I'll
manually update with yum.conf.full when I hear of a vulnerability or
important improvement to something on my extras-list.

>>>snip <
>>>

>>yum -C remove package
>>
>>Satish
>>

>Very nice yum mini-tutorial!
>
>Phil

Agreed! What a great mailing list. Thanks to both of you.

--Matt