sata/IDE dual boot help please

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Apr 11 04:11:00 UTC 2004

kb0mbb at dimensional.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am very new to Linux.
>
> I have a new system I am trying to set as a dual boot system. I have
> the windows xp drive set up on a sata interface (via vt8237 chipset)
> and a blank disk on a regular IDE interface that I want to install
> Linux (fedora release
>
> 1) on.
>
> My question is, if the linux kernel does not have support for the sata
> disk will the boot controller see windows as a possible boot option?
>
> Is there a way to get around this problem.
>
> Is there support for sata in Core 2 test2? Would I be better off
> installing this release?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Bryan

Bryan,
If you arent going to use the built in raid features that most of these
controllers have , then probably you'll have no problems.
I have a asus a7n8x-deluxe motherboard (which uses a silicon sistems
sata chip) and it works fine. In my case , the sata disk is only holding
some data and windows and linux are installed on a ide drive.. so , if
you stay away from "hardware raid" (these controllers offer no real
hardware raid), then you're safe..

--
Pedro Macedo