FC1 on VMWare Workstation 4 (from a noob)

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Mon Apr 12 20:03:03 UTC 2004

Monday, April 05, 2004 5:58 AM Chris sent:
> I'm having a problem installing FC1 on VMWare
Workstation -
> the installation completes okay, but when I reboot the
VM I
> just get a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the
top
> left corner.  If I run an upgrade Anaconda tells me it
can't
> detect my boot loader so I ask it to update it - the
trouble
> is, as no Kernel packages are changed, it doesn't
alter the loader.

Chris,

This doesn't seem like a fedora issue. I've installed
fedra on several VMs and not had any problem other than
Vmware tools mucking up the X configuration. I've since
learned to copy XF86Config before installing Vmware
tools so I can copy it back after...

This sounds like a boot order issue within the VM. Start
the VM and immediately click inside the blank window.
When the Vmware logo comes up, press F2 to get into the
virtual BOIS settings. From there check your boot order.
Make sure the Vmware Virtual SCSI drive is both listed
and not disabled. Save and exit (like any other BIOS)
and cross your fingers.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555