How to use Gnome Sessions to Respawn soffice -quickstart

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Tue Apr 13 11:33:27 UTC 2004

Around about 12/04/2004 19:40, Dexter Ang typed ...
> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -quickstart
> Whenever this starts up, it doesn't show up in the "Current Session"
> tab. I was just wondering if there is a way, since I want to
> Restart/Respawn this process whenever it ends.

   I've not checked, but I'd guess that soffice doesn't support the
session-manager protocol (XSMP?).

   I believe that only apps. that actively register with the session
manager (asserting that they know how to manage sessions [like saving
state, etc.]) will appear in the session list.

   It would seem a bit remiss of soffice not to use XSMP, but I wouldn't
be wholly surprised.

   You might try something like the following wrapper [untested!] (run
this instead of soffice - I'm assuming soffice doesn't fork off itself;
  the xdpyinfo is there to make it abort when you log out):

[/usr/local/bin/soffice-forever]
#!/bin/sh
while true; do
   xdpyinfo 2>&1 >/dev/null  ||  exit