Is this correct: Kernel Compiling Checklist

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 19 12:34:24 UTC 2004

On Apr 12, 2004 at 18:27, Enric Martínez in a soothing rage wrote:

>El Lunes, 12 de Abril de 2004 17:36, Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz escribió:
>
>> 0:  Insert desired version number where x.x.x is present.
>> 1:  Get desired kernel and extract it.
>> 2:  "mv /scratch/directory/linux-x.x.x /usr/src"
>
>Woudn't it be easier to untar the kernel directly in /usr/src, or even
>do yum install kernel-source-what-the-hell ?
No cause Linus has already told that /usr/src is for the
kernel source that your system was compiled with. I always
put my kernel source in opt.

>> 3:  "cd /usr/src/linux-x.x.x"
>
>You forgot creating the symlink:
>
>ln -s linux-xxx linux
I never use this since my source is in opt.

>> 5:  "make oldconfig" (Keep the stuff that works, and only answer new
>> questions)
>> 6:  "make xconfig" (Make sure kernel options for Prism54 are set
>> properly)
>
>Why twice?
>Once you have .config copyed run just 'make xconfig', those options
>which are compatible with the older .config will appear as already
>marked.
It is not twice. 'make oldconfig' updates the .config file
with new options that are in the new kernel. Besides, the
proper way to do it is to run make oldconfig.

>> 8:  "make clean"
>This is no always a good choice.
'make c;ean' _should_ always be run. You do not know
what state the kernel source is in. This cleans it up
and leaves it in a state suitable for your system.

>> 14: Edit /etc/rc.sysinit and change '/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe' to
>> /sbin/modprobe'.
>
>No clues. What is this supposed to do?
>
>Try this mantra:
>
>* get the tarball and stuff it in /usr/src
Bad idea. See above.

>* tar xvfj linux-xxx.tar.bz2 ; ln -s linux-xxx linux ; cd linux ; \
>cp /boot/config-xxx $PWD
I notice ppl love seeing all the stuff scroll across their screen.
I never saw the point of it. tar xjf linux-xxx.tar.bz2 is good enuf
for me. Your cp command is wrong. It should be cp /boot/config-xxx \
.config .

>* make xconfig ; make dep ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make
>modules_install
Try this instead:

make oldconfig xconfig dep clean bzImage modules
su -c "make modules_install"
su -c "make install"

Not how the command is strung out on one line. If
any step fails, the build process stops. With your
method, the next step is attempted and will most
likely fail at the same point repeatedly. My method
works for those of us who build kernels as an ordinary
user and not as root.

>* cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-xxx
>* cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-xxx
>* cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config-xxx
>
>Make the initrd, edit grub.conf and reboot.
All of this is taken care of by 'make install'.

N.Emile...
When Dexter's on the Internet, can Hell be far behind?"
 08:17:17  up 29 days, 20:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00