user with root priviledge

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Mon Apr 19 23:16:34 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Björn Persson wrote:
>
>> If more than one person needs root access, and a few selected commands
>> through sudo isn't enough, then surely it's better to have multiple
>> root accounts that to share a password.
>>
> I disagree!
>
> Here is a situation where this does not make sense, and the use of sudo
> does make sense

You don't need to prove to me that sudo is useful. Please read what I
actally write so you don't disagree with something I've never said. I
said _if_ there is a situation where _sudo_isn't_enough_, then multiple
root accounts with separate passwords is better than multiple
administrators sharing one root password. The little typo I made didn't
make the sentence that hard to understand did it?

> 3.  An additional valid argument against allowing users to routinely log
> in and function as root is that a single careless keystroke can take the
> system completely down and cost you (or the company) thousands or even
> millions in doing recovery and possible lost business or sales.

And now it seems like you think I've said that users should do
everything as root. I haven't. *Of course* you should run commands as
root only when absolutely necessary.

Björn Persson