Initializing drive in USB enclosure

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 19 23:28:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Andrew Robinson wrote:

> I have recently acquired a Western Digital EIDE 80 GB hard drive.
> Separately, I acquired an external USB enclosure. I would like to get
> the hard drive working in the enclosure to provide myself with some
> portable disk space.
>
> First question: is it possible to initialize a hard drive in an USB
> external enclosure? I haven't figured out how to do so from either Linux
> or Windows. My suspicion is that I will have to mount the hard drive in
> the computer case, initialize it, then remove it and mount it in the
> external enclosure.
>
> Second question: if it is possible to initialize a hard drive in an USB
> enclosure, how to I go about doing so? If anyone has any pointers to
> appropriate How-To's, I'd be very appreciative.

assuming the usb storage controller is supported by linux, slap the drive
in the box and plug the box into a usb port. assuming everything works
like it should, can do a dmesg or cat /proc/scsi/scsi in order to see
where it got installed. probably /dev/sda if you have no other usb-storage
serial-ata or scsi disks. Then create a partition on /dev/sda
using fdisk and do a mkfs.ext3 -c /dev/sda1 and it's ready to mount.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu