Documentation for Bind in Fedora Core 1

david david at daku.org
Wed Apr 21 05:17:52 UTC 2004

At 10:02 PM 4/20/2004, you wrote:
>So, David. Do you understand yet? Or has this all caused more confusion?
>
>If not, do a little research on chroot. Then go back and re-read the
>named release notes, that should help it make a little more sense.
>
>It will be worth your while. Chroot is a very powerful security tool and
>every unix/linux admin should understand it.

Eric

Thanks for the non accusatory response.  Here's what I've learned.  Perhaps
someone can reformulate into intelligible text.

If you include bind-chroot in your system (not sure what "include" means,
help needed), then the NAMED service automatically prefixes
/var/named/chroot/ in front of path names.  This means that what you
thought of as /etc/named.conf becomes /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf.  In
your "named.conf" file, if you specify a directory for your zone files,
this same prefixing occurs.

If you do not include bind-chroot in your system (.....)

Thoughts?

David