seti service script - proper run level (still problems)

Kevin F. Berrien kblists at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 21:11:51 UTC 2004

Moved my smb link to rc3 and still having problems.  Messages shows the
following

Apr 21 16:59:44 gold seti: Starting computing seti:
Apr 21 16:59:44 gold seti: 3133
Apr 21 16:59:45 gold seti: SETI at home client.
Apr 21 16:59:45 gold seti: Platform: i386-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static
Apr 21 16:59:45 gold seti: Version: 3.03
Apr 21 16:59:45 gold rc: Starting seti:  succeeded

But nothing is actually running.  Once again, run from init.d manually
all is fine.

Here is the script, less extra comments.  Is there any way I can look at
all this more closely, and find the problem?

#Author Stephane NICOLAS
#<snicolas at iad.ift.ulaval.ca>
#This program is distributed under the terms of the GPL.
#You can get a copy of it at
#http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/copyleft.html#translations

#This variable points to the client's executable directory
#change this value to define the location of your client.
#We do NOT need the client to be in your $PATH
SETI_CLIENT_DIR=/home/user/seti

#This direcory contains the root of setiathome's workspace
#you can customize it.
SETI_DIR=/home/user/seti

#This file is generated by setiathome and we need it
SETI_LOG_FILE=$SETI_DIR/state.sah

#this file is lock file we create to ensure one and
#only one client is launched
SETI_LOCK_FILE=/var/lock/seti

case "$1" in
   start)
   echo -n "Starting computing seti: "
   more ${SETI_DIR}/user_info.sah | awk -F = '$1 == "nresults" { print $2}'
   cd $SETI_DIR
   ${SETI_CLIENT_DIR}/setiathome &
   touch $SETI_LOCK_FILE
   ;;

   stop)
   echo -n "Shutting down seti: "
   more ${SETI_DIR}/user_info.sah | awk -F = ' $1 == "nresults" { print
$2 }'
   killall setiathome
   rm -f $SETI_LOCK_FILE
   echo
   ;;

   restart)
   $0 stop
   $0 start
   ;;

   status)
   echo -n "Seti work unit completed: "
   more ${SETI_DIR}/user_info.sah | awk -F = ' $1 == "nresults" { print $2}'

   running=`ps -A | grep setiathome`
   #thanks to Toan for this bug fix
   if( [ "${running}" = " "  ] )
   then
     echo "Seti client is not running."
   else
     echo -n "Seti client runs since "
     echo ${running} | awk -F " " '{ print $3 }'
     echo -n "The current work unit is completed at "
     more $SETI_LOG_FILE | grep prog | awk -F "=" '{ print $2 } '
   fi
   echo -n "Last result returned at ("
   more /var/log/seti/user_info.sah | grep last_result_time | awk -F "("
'{ print $2 }'
   echo ""
   ;;

   log)
   /bin/date >> $SETI_DIR/log
   $0 status >> $SETI_DIR/log
   ;;

   *)
    echo "Usage: seti {start|stop|restart|status}"
    exit 1
esac