Logs and how to read them

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Wed Apr 21 22:36:55 UTC 2004

>There are a lot newer viruses around which have their own SMTP
>functionality! They don't use your email program's configuration or SMTP
>function. They have their own and it is sufficient if the firewall lets
>pass SMTP communication. You should immediately reconfigure the firewall
>to block port 25.
>
>if you have complains about a lot of spam, the window machines combined
>with the open firewall port are the most likely source.

  I did check all the Windows machines for viruses and worms and found
none...I will block outgoing port 25 however as soon as I learn more about
iptables, looking into it today.  Thinking about getting a gui firewall
configuration tool to get it done today but I would prefer to learn how to
do things first before I get used to guis.

   So far I have only had one complaint about SPAM from my ISP so it is
isolated but worrysome.

         mike