Problem with Fedora1 and ipop3d

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Thu Apr 22 20:03:27 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 12:54, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 22.04.2004 schrieb Tim Alberts um 21:48:
> > I changed no permissions from the default.  The permissions are as
> > follows:
> >
> > ls -ld /var/ /var/spool/ /var/spool/mail/ /var/spool/mail/talberts
> > drwxr-xr-x   30 root     root         4096 Apr 15 14:19 /var/
> > drwxr-xr-x   25 root     root         4096 Feb 12 16:11 /var/spool/
> > drwxrwxr-x    2 root     mail         4096 Apr 22 11:47 /var/spool/mail/
> > -rw-rw----    1 talberts mail          556 Apr 22 11:50
> > /var/spool/mail/talberts
>
> So which client do you use? Please be more descriptive what exactly you
> do. I only saw the maillog error message complaining about wrong mailbox
> permissions on bugzilla when someone did use mutt with wrong setup.
>
> Alexander

I got this to happen on two Fedora Core 1 systems.  My network mail server
which is a heterogeneous with Windows Mac and Linux workstations.  Also on my
personal workstation after I discovered the problem I tested it on my own
system.  Full install of Fedora core 1 with nothing special I can think of to
mention.

I need to explain further that the error message is in /var/spool/mail/user
file, but when I use pop3 (via kmail on localhost, or over the network) to
get the email I don't get the message downloaded, I don't get any errors from
the client side.  I also don't get any emails delivered either.  I have to
log into the server and access the /var/spool/mail/user file direction to see
the error message.

After the error occurs, I can delete /var/spool/mail/user and the thing will
work again for a short period of time (sometimes it fais immediately).