converting user to linux

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Apr 27 15:08:13 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:

>my wife has expereinced microsoft windows trouble.  mainly, virus and
>trojan problems and the free avg program doesn't help resolve or
>remove these virus'
>
>i see this as an oppertunity to convert her to Linux on her Sony VAIO
>laptop.  however, i don't want to hear her bitchin' and complaining for
>the next 20 years or ever how long i have left;)
>
>she bought me a licensed copy of windows xp pro last year.  after
>experimenting with this os for a few weeks, i removed the windows
>partition and upgraded to fedora from rh 9.
>
>she is reasonable in thinking since i no longer use xp pro, that i
>could install it on her laptop.  i tried to explain that would require
>calling microsoft and getting them to activate this copy of xp pro on
>another machine which is all legal since i no longer have xp installed
>on my box.  well, i've already switched boxes twice with this copy of
>XP and i'm not calling them again:)
>
>then again, it may not be legal?
>
>i also tried to explain that wiping the drive on the laptop and
>reinstalling is not as easy as it use to be, especially when dealing
>with xp on a laptop.  in fact, it may even be easier to install
>fedora!
>
>i think as long as i can get mp3's to play requiring her builtin sound
>to work and get her dvd/cdrw to work she would be statisfied with
>fedora.  i would not have to install any smtp server or email clients
>since she uses squirrelmail on my server and also yahoo for mail.
>
>with all the security patches and updates with XP, restoring and
>updating and patching may take 48 hours or more.  plus installing all
>those other programs not included with Windows, this may take a week!
>
>it may be more practical to install fedora on this sony laptop.
>laptop: Sony VAIO
>model is: PCG-FR130
>sony dvd cdrw drive
>
>what do you think, do i stand a chance to convert her to Linux or am i
>wasting my time?  she basically uses the laptop as a desktop pc to
>read mail via a webmail service, surf the net, purchase online,
>save family photos to cdr, and print stuff.  she would use X almost
>entirely with the mouse under a normal user account.  she also has no
>interest in learning unix/linux commands or the shell.  has anyone
>tried to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?
>

>jay

Yes but I used an adapter...
Just kidding.

I installed Mandrake on a computer I gave to a friend family a few years ago, and they are still my friends. :-)

I don't have much experience with Sony VAIO, but I think sound would be your biggest issue. In order to play MP3's you will need xmms-mp3 or
something like, but that is not a standard package.