converting user to linux

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Apr 28 12:30:43 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:44:11AM -0700, Clifford Snow wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 08:49, Jay Daniels wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks duncan and everyone.
>>>
>>>After I explained to her about the Microsoft license agreement, she
>>>seemed more inclinded to install Linux but yet has her doubts that
>>>everything will work.  I also explained about the kernel 2.4 ACPI
>>>issues and that FC2 had kernel version 2.6.* and that may solve those
>>>issues.
>>>

>><snip>
>>You might want to try Knoppix, www.knoppix.net, or gnoppix,
>>www.gnoppix.net, (I know this is a Fedora list...)  Both should run from
>>the cdrom without having to install.  It should give her a chance to see
>>if she likes linux.
>>
>>It has been reported that knoppix does a good job identifying hardware
>>and may work on your sony laptop.
>>

>I went to the Gnoppix site, but it says Gnoppix is based on Debian 3.0
>(woody).  In my experience with this version of Debian Linux, it has
>much less hardware support than Fedora.  In fact, I could not get
>Debian (current stable release) to install on my server I am using now
>with the adaptec 2120S raid controller and it did not detect my intel
>e1000 builtin network devices either.  I read a page on how to get the
>2120s controller working but the drivers rely on a RH 9.0 kernel! and
>the debian installer would not accept the drivers he compiled for the
>nics.
>
>Perhaps Gnoppix is based on Woody but they have updated many of the
>apps and Linux kernel?  Sounds like a good idea though to test the
>laptop if Gnoppix has developed into it's distro - away from woody?
>
>Well, I "think" I got all the virus and trojans removed.  But it still
>seems like a lost cause.  I simply don't trust XP and find it
>unreliable.  Like the other user stated, Windows is waste of money and
>I don't want to spend anymore upgrading Windows or buying Window's
>software.
>
>However, since she seems to think it's fixed, Linux has slipped her
>mind for the moment.

I have yet to boot a machine with Knoppix 3.3 and have it fail to find
everyting attached.  However, as I see it, the biggest obvious
difference between Knoppix and Fedora is KDE vs Gnome.  It is a visual
difference at the very beginning.

Knoppix installs KDE by default, while Fedora uses Gnome by default.
 Both are able to install/use the other window manager so this is not
the total difference, just the one seen first by the newbie..