fedora teething problems

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Apr 30 00:41:10 UTC 2004

>> 3. And if you are still reading...the auto-update ia
>> great for fedora packages etc, but what abput
>> something like Ogle dvd player. As yet, I have had to
>> search for the rpm, then look for its dependencies...
>> and so on. Surely this is not the way to do it? surely
>> it can be done automatically?
>

> Until Ogle is put into the standard distribution, you need to fetch it
> manually.  If the RPM is found in the same spot (freshrpms, freshmeat,
> whatever) and they support either apt or yum, you can add it to the
> appropriate config file and look for it automatically.

While it's not part of the standard distribution, you can easily grab
and install all of ogle's DVD goodies via yum! Here is one way to do it,
assuming you're brand new to using yum:

1. Save this file locally.
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/samples/yum.conf
2. Open a terminal. Navigate to where you stored the above file.
3. Type su, and after pressing RETURN, give it your root pw.
4. Type cp ./yum.conf /etc/yum.conf
5. Type yum install ogle*
6. It'll download all it needs, and ask you if you're sure you want to
do the installation.
7. When it is done, type exit, and ogle will be available in your Sound
& Multimedia section of your desktop, as well as available from the
command prompt.
8. Pop in a DVD, pop some popcorn, open a refreshing beverage, and enjoy
a movie!

If you read these two sections here:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#InstallSoftware

you'll learn how yum and up2date are really nice for keeping your Fedora
system updated, as well as installing or removing software applications.

Hope this helps!
Clint

--
Clint Harshaw  <clint at penguinsolutions.org>