Determining IP information for eth0 failed

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 1 13:39:02 UTC 2004

Jeroen Van Goey wrote:

>I'm not sure it's relevant, but when the fibrecable from the ISP comes into my house, it
>goes to a switch> From there one cable goes to a Windows PC, and one to an
>ex-Windows-now-Limux PC (mine, the one with troubles)>
>
>       printer
>      /
>pc1 (windows)
>   \
>    \
>  Switch/hub--------cablemodem-----fibrecable-------myISP---------Internet
>    /
>   /
>pc2 (Linux)
>
>I mention this, because I was thinking that I should search the solution into
>masquarading, gateways, etc.

Is the switch/hub [pick one, they are different.... :) ] really a
CableModem/DSL ROUTER [that is, on the original box, did it say either
Cable Modem Router or DSL Router, or both?].
Is PC1 getting an IP address from your ISP?
How many leases have you purchased from your ISP?
Did you purchase the cable modem?

The reason for asking these questions:

1) The switches and hubs that I have seen will not do Network Address
Translation [NAT].  However, Routers do.
2) If you only have 1 lease purchased from your ISP, why would you
expect them to give you 2 addresses [assuming PC1 works]?
3) The cable modems that I have seen that are owned by the ISP [that is,
you lease the cable modem] allow for exactly 1 network card MAC
address.  If PC1 works, then the cable modem may completely IGNORE other
requests [which is what appears to be happening].

If you really do have a network switch or hub, then you have two options:
1) Purchase a CableModem/DSL Router (~$50-60 US), and let the switch
collect dust, reset your cablemodem.
2) Purchase a 2nd Network Interface Card [NIC] (~$10-20 US) for either
PC1 or PC2, connect the cablemodem to the machine that has 2 network
cards [either card will do], connect the other card to your switch/hub,
set up NAT, Install a Firewall, possibly reset your cablemodem.

Personally, I went with option 2, but then, it taught me a lot about
networking, firewalls, etc.  Option 1 is great for people who just want
the thing to work.  If you go with option 2, I would recommend putting
the 2nd network card into PC2, since it is running Linux, and this is a
Fedora List....

--
Keven Ring               | The called it Paraside, I don't know why
The MITRE Corporation    | Call somplace Paradise - Kiss it Goodbye