Q) Using cups from Windows-2000 machine

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Apr 1 15:24:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Does one have to install Samba in order to use a printer
> attached to a Linux box from a Windows-2000 machine on a LAN?

If you want to access the printer through normal Windows printer sharing,
I think the answer is yes.

> IIRC, I used to print from the W2k machine under RH-7 or 8
> without using Samba, but this doesn't seem possible under FC-1,
> unless I have misunderstood something.
> I can access the web through the Linux box from the W2k machine.

In Win2k, you can define a printer as using LPD protocol.  (Configuration
starts by selecting "locally attached printer" in the Wizard, then "create
new port" then "custom port".  I don't recall the exact steps, though.)

On the Linux side, run redhat-config-printer, and select "sharing" from
the left-most pulldown menu.  Then check "enable LPD protocol".  Save
everything and restart cupsd.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences