XOrg vs XFree86

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Fri Apr 2 00:31:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:39:47AM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> The problem I see is even worse.
> Now I'm not a lawyer - but it looks like you have a patented technology,
> Apache uses your patented tech, and you sue Apache.org - then you are no
> longer allowed to use Apache.

This isn't correct, although it is close.

Members of the Apache community may choose to include patented works into
the product. These works are offered to you for *freely* and *for free*.

You are 'free' to fork the Apache source code, remove any and all
patented technologies from it, and use the non-patented Apache source
code however you wish.

You just can't use patents from other people for free, if you won't let
others use yours for free.

This lets patented technologies get into Apache without much difficulty.

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...