Q) Using cups from Windows-2000 machine

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Apr 2 02:49:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > In Win2k, you can define a printer as using LPD protocol.  (Configuration
> > starts by selecting "locally attached printer" in the Wizard, then "create
> > new port" then "custom port".  I don't recall the exact steps, though.)
>
> I'm trying to follow these instructions.
> The Wizard is running now.
> I am given the choice of "Local printer" or "Network printer".
> I take it you are advising me to choose "Local printer".
> (This seems illogical, since I am told it means
> the printer is directly attached to my computer, which it is not.)

Yes it does seem illogical, but "network printer" is a printer with its
own network interface, which yours is not.

> When I do this, I have the option: "Create a new port".
> I take it I should choose this.
> I have to choose between Local Port and Standard TCP/IP Port.
> I take the second option.
> (I tried the first, but not surprisingly it did not work,
> as I was never asked where the printer was.)

Yep.

> Now I am asked the "Printer Name or IP Address",
> and I give the address of my desktop, 192.168.1.1.
> (I am not able to add ":631" as the port.)
> The "Port Name" is then given as IP_192.168.1.1, which I accept.

OK.

> When I click "Next" I am told that "The device could not be identified".
> I choose Device Type: Custom.
>
> I am then offered Raw or LPR, and choose the latter.
>
> When I click Next, I am asked what model printer I am using,
> and choose the correct one, HP LaserJet 5L,
> agreeing to use the existing driver.

You should be OK except on the page where you selected LPR, I think you
also can select something like "enable byte counting".  Do so.

(This is from memory, as I don't have Windows to play with at the moment.
I know there's an option, but I can't recall exactly what its called.)

> Now when I opt to print a test page,
> there is a little activity on the ethernet,
> but nothing is printed.

Byte counting (or whatever it is) should fix this.  Of course, nothing
will happen until both Linux and Windows sides are configured.

> I note that I have never been asked, or had an opportunity,
> to give the port number 631.

LPR protocol runs on 515, not 631.  You're not creating a CUPS printer,
you're creating an LPR printer.  Selecting LPR protocol configures the
port automatically.

> The troubleshooter does not give me any help.
> It verifies that I can ping 192.168.1.1, but that is all.
> It advises me to re-install the printer driver,
> but I very much doubt if that is necessary, and do not follow this advice.

Except for the counting option, I think you are OK on the Windows side.

> So I delete this printer, and start again,
> clicking on "Add Printer".
>
> This time I choose "Network printer",
> and choose "Connect to a printer on the Internet or on your intranet",
> giving the URL ipp://192.168.1.1:631
> which is declared invalid.
> When I choose http://192.168.1.1:631
> I am told "Could not connect to printer. Access is denied."

This advice is supposed to create a CUPS printer in Windows.  I've never
tried it, but it sure sounded good...

> > On the Linux side, run redhat-config-printer, and select "sharing" from
> > the left-most pulldown menu.  Then check "enable LPD protocol".  Save
> > everything and restart cupsd.
>
> I am not offered an option "Enable LPD protocol",
> either on the current screen or when I opt to edit the printer entry.
> Where exactly do you see this option?

Pull down the "Action" menu on the main redhat-config-printer window, and
select "sharing".

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences