Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 2 11:30:58 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:
> Nigel Wade wrote:

>>> My system crashed at 23:35. The cron job to mount/unmount filesystems
>>> was set to run at :10 and :35 every hour. Given what other people
>>> report in this and other threads I'd say either mount or unmount was
>>> the culprit.
>>>
>>> I think I'll be building my own kernel now.
>>>

>> I built the latest 2.4 kernel, but LDAP won't run with that kernel
>> (more precicely, the BDB backend won't start and slapd seg. faults).
>> So that's a non-starter.
>>
>> I guess I'm back to square one. The system won't operate in SMP with
>> the FC kernel and won't operate at all without a FC kernel. So it
>> looks like Fedora is snafu'd.
>>
>> Unfortunately, RH9/RHEL3 don't have the version of LDAP I require, and
>> when I tried an upgrade to openldap I started getting FUTEX locking
>> problems.
>>
> This may be a stupid question since it sounds like you know what you are
> doing but I thought I would ask anyway..
>
> Did you use the FC .config when recompiling the kernel? don't know if it
> will make any difference but it may do..
>
> Later..

Yes, I used kernel-2.4.22-i686-smp.config. Running 'make oldconfig' asked a
few questions about new features to which I answered N.

I presume that BDB is built using NPTL, and the stock kernel doesn't have
NPTL support (AFAIK, that is backported into RH9/RHEL3/FC1 from the 2.6
kernel). But this is conjecture, I really don't know enough about it.

Attempting to start slapd with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 doesn't help.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555