GPG signatures and list mail

Jonathan DeSena jonathan.desena at jhuapl.edu
Fri Apr 2 15:02:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 10:30, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 01.04.2004 schrieb Jonathan DeSena um 16:18:
>
> > I am not sure why I have this problem in Evolution and others do not. I
> > am using evolution-1.4.5-7 straight out of Fedora Core 1. No fancy
> > setup. I do have gpg installed. I have not used it yet myself though.
>
> Ok, then Evolution should not be the problem. I am running Evolution
> from FC1 too, no enhancements, just GPG signing activated.
>
> > I read this list at work, so maybe this is happening due to the mail
> > server setup? I think the mail server is some Microsoft product.
>
> That could explain all. My brother gave me the feedback once too. They
> have Exchange as their central mail server at office. This crap of
> server has a fair amount of bad behaviours and disregards standards. I
> think he said he got my GPG signed mail as an attachment with the name
> "SMIME.txt". Doesn't this say all? S/MIME is a total different signing
> method than GPG/PGP and if the server can not distinguish those it is
> clear what happens ...
>
> > Some think that anyone with this problem should just switch mail readers
> > or keep quiet. Up to now I did keep quiet, but you asked. Personally, I
> > would like to find out why this is happening to possibly fix it.
>
> Right, I asked and did request for controversy feedback. Of course it
> would be better if no one would have problems with GPG signing.
>
> > Maybe I will test Mozilla mail (which I find inferior to Evolution for
> > my purposes) to see if it is the client or some server setup. Until now
> > I assumed your client created the attachments.
>
> Fine, looking forward for the next reply by you. I bet 1$ it is
> Microcrap Exchanger.
>
> > Jon

Mozilla allows automatic inline display of attachments, so these
messages are readable in Mozilla, but the attachments remain. If you
turn off automatic display, then it looks like Evolution. I cannot find
a similar option for Evolution, though.

Another problem is that Evolution does not thread messages with these
attachments properly (they do not go into threads at all -- but that is
an Evolution issue).

Are these attachments normal for PGP signed messages? From the list it
looks like this might be the case.

Jon